We invite Guest Artists to teach a technique specific to their own practice for this series of intensive workshops. Guest Artists are highly accomplished in their respective mediums and exhibited internationally.
Learn directly from the artists that are defining current trends and bringing fresh relevance to both traditional and experimental techniques!
Sketching with Giulia
Learn various wet and dry sketching techniques with master artist Giulia Caruso. Each week Giulia will demonstrate a new technique and guide the class step by step. Gradually you will learn to layer the different materials and processes, combining charcoal, watercolor, ink and more in order to develop your own personal style. The class will draw from different subject matter, ranging from still lives or models in the studio to architecture in the neighborhood or sculptures in a museum. This wide ranging course will be tuned to fit the interests of the students, as Giulia draws upon her vast knowledge and experience.
Module #1: January 17 - February 7, 2018
Wednesdays 10-12:00 am (x4)
Module #2: February 14 - March 7, 2018
Wednesdays 10-12:00 am (x4)
Cost: 85 Euro per module, 160 Euro for both modules.
Materials: Some materials that can be shared will be provided and other materials for individual use such as paper or brushes will be available to purchase for a low price. Most items not exceeding 2-3 Euro.
Portrait Drawing Intensive
with Dave Hedderman
Immerse yourself in an intensive exploration of portraiture, one of the most challenging and rewarding drawing subjects. Dave will guide the class through a series of exercises and techniques, using both theoretical discussion and live demonstrations, in order to facilitate an in-depth understanding of portrait drawing.
- Solid foundation in the process of drawing a portrait from start to finish
- Introduction to drawing mediums: graphite, charcoal, white chalk on toned paper
- Improve observational skills through exercises
- Work from the model in order to create a likeness and understand facial proportions
- Develop your own drawing language by exploring the elements of line and
mark marking, light and dark.
Cyanotype: Drawing in Four Dimensions
Dive into the process of Cyanotype in this intensive weekend workshop! Cyanotype is a photographic technique that exposes images in sunlight. Creating an image requires no negatives but rather invites a direct approach that combines elements of drawing, painting and sculpture with the final element of time. Mix the alchemical concoction discovered by Sir John Herschel in 1842 to create your own solutions, prepare, expose, and develop photosensitive paper. By learning the chemical process involved, you will also unlock infinite possibilities for deconstructing the medium to create unique effects.
During this 2 day workshop, you can expect to learn:
- Chemistry involved in Cyanotype technique
- Results of using different types of paper and other surfaces for printing
- How to make test prints to set exposure time in varying weather conditions
- Tips for creating a sharper image, or a blurred "in-motion" image
- Experimental techniques for drawing and painting with Cyanotype
- Using tea to create varied tones
- Introduction to the history of Cyanotype and examples of artists, both historical and contemporary