with Mira O'Brien (Berlin Drawing Room Founding Director) and Matthias Wilkens (Botanical Expert from Prinzessinnengarten)
Join us for a special winter edition of the Botanical Drawing Workshop. Learn techniques for botanical illustration inspired by the tradition of Naturalists, who recorded their scientific discoveries through detailed painting and drawing. We will make our own discoveries through a process of close observation guided by Matthias' botanical expertise. Drawing and watercolor techniques specific to the subject matter, such as layering in order to capture different textures and the effect of fine detail, will be introduced each week.
No previous experience required.
Topics will include:
- Microscopy drawing: with images projected live via Beamer accompanied by scientific explanation.
- Cross-sections with layered watercolor, see example below.
- Winter specimen possibilities to draw and paint from: succulents, forced apple blossoms, ferns, orchids, seed pods, etc...
Course Schedule: February 15 - March 15
- 5 x on Wednesday in the studio from 6 - 9 pm
- 1 x field trip, Saturday, March 4 from 12 - 2 pm
Sign Up: firstname.lastname@example.org