Offered entirely online: livestreaming classes and personalized feedback on completed work.
with Ali Fitzgerald
In this section of our Visual Storytelling module, we will find and refine our narrative voices, building different creative cosmos through prompts that expand our creativity. We will look at tone, atmosphere and world-building in picture books, visual essays and comics. Over four weeks we will develop our own creative visions, ending the course with a fully-realized narrative and visual world that can inspire any number of projects.
“A narrative world is something you build up over time. It’s where your stories take place. To create this space, you ask yourself questions about the atmosphere, the characters, the aesthetics and the relationships. Slowly these aspects become more real and defined. One of the joys of being an artist is making things up and living in artistic alternate realities. In the final module, we’ll flesh these alternate realities out, making a more complete graphic story.”
– Interview with Ali Fitzgerald on Berlin Drawing Room Blog
Who: Would you like to draw comics?
This course is intended both for beginners and advanced participants who are interested in learning more about comics. At the end of the course, we should have several pages of new comics and hopefully a new (or renewed) enthusiasm for the medium!
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
Sign up for the complete Visual Storytelling Workshop Series and save 15%!
Creating a Narrative World
September 8 – 29, 2021
4 x Wednesdays, 6 – 8pm CET
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
155 € (*incl 19% VAT)
12 seats available