with G Caruso
Learn how to draw accurate and expressive facial features, whether your goal is portraiture or figure drawing. By understanding the underlying anatomy of facial features, you will be able to adapt this information to any face or expression.
We will look at the human head from inside out, starting with the skull and the main muscles responsible for facial expression. Then we will focus on how to render facial features in an accurate way, avoiding stylizations such as drawing the same eye shape on every individual.
Learning these skills will give you both the skills for achieving likeness in portraiture as well as inventing characters or stylizing your figurative work.
This workshop is useful for anyone that is interested in drawing or painting the figure. Whether your goal is to paint Renaissance style portraits in oil or create graphic characters on the computer, learning the basic structure of the head and face will give you a foundation to build on.
- Human skull
- Muscles and facial expressions
- Drawing facial features and likeness
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
Figure: Facial Features
June 3, 2021 – July 8, 2021
5x Thursdays 6-8 CET Online
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 160 Euros SOLD OUT
Subscribe to the newsletter to receive the latest class schedule.