Subscribe to the newsletter to receive the latest class schedule.
Figure: Painting Techniques
Artist-instructor: G Caruso
Format: Online Live (livestreaming with class recordings and instructor feedback).
November 4 – December 2, 2021
– 5x Thursdays
– 6-8 CET Online
– (6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 160 Euros
What to Expect:
Learn traditional figurative painting techniques with your choice of acrylic, oil or gouache paint.
Opaque painting is the art technique that allows for the most stunning realism. How were the Renaissance masters able to paint such lifelike human forms? Bodies with weight, faces with subtle expressions, muscles with motion. We will explore the fundamental techniques, from structure to glazing, that make this physicality rendered through paint possible.
We will look at the work of old masters to learn how to render and paint the human body, from skin color to fingers and muscles.
Join the incredible journey of figurative painting and become part of art history. Figurative painting currently enjoys a lively revival in contemporary art. This fresh wave of figurative art explores identity, media representation, our relationship with technology, amongst other topics. But a common thread amongst the most highly acclaimed artists is always a connection and acknowledgement of art history.
This workshop is a wonderful way to begin your own exploration of figurative painting, by gaining a solid foundation in traditional techniques in a contemporary context.
- Skin tone: color mixing, palette and shading
- Brushstrokes quality, direction and shaping
- Small details and the importance of shadow points and highlights
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.