Subscribe to the newsletter to receive the latest class schedule.
Intro Painting Workshop
Artist-instructor: Oded Arad
Location: Galerie Hell, Spittastraße 2, 10317 Berlin
June 1 – June 22, 2023
– 4x Thursdays
– 18:00 – 20:00
Supply List: Acrylic paint is included. See “Materials” section below.
Learn how to craft a painting from start to finish. This workshop is an introduction to the expressive and versatile medium of painting with a focus on foundation techniques. Learn how to mix colors, arrange your pallet and plan your painting in order to lay down those first few strokes with confidence. The focus of this workshop will be painting from direct observation, using still lifes.
Build your painter’s vocabulary with the following skills:
- Essential color theory.
- Mix colors and organize a palette.
- Plan a composition.
- Introduction to layering and glazing.
- Painting on a toned ground.
- The difference between painting from life and painting from a photograph.
- Tricks and tips for keeping a painting fresh, finishing touches and unifying elements.
By the end of this workshop you will have a solid foundation upon which to launch your own painting journey. Even if you are complete beginner! Practice painting from direct observation as well as how to use photographs and reproductions as inspiration. Finally, begin your exploration of individual style and personal expression. We will look at examples from both art history and contemporary art for technical and conceptual insights.
- Provided: Acrylic paint and basic painting set up.
- Bring: Sketchbook for taking notes, testing colors, diagraming compositions, etc… Pencil and eraser.
- To be purchased by the student: Everything for the first class is provided and we will go over additional supplies in detail. Own set of brushes. Own mixed-media paper block or canvas boards (your choice).
- Recommended: Own set of acrylic paint so that you can practice at home.
Can I participate as a complete beginner?
Yes! This is a perfect introduction to painting for a complete beginner. You will learn foundation skills that can be applied to any future painting project.
Will I have a finished painting that I can hang on the wall?
Maybe yes, maybe no. This is not the type of painting workshop where everyone copies the teacher and ends up with the exact same painting. The focus here is on learning techniques and engaging in a painting process, not necessarily on the final result. We want you to leave this painting course with skills that can be applied to any creative endeavor, not just a single finished painting.
About Your Instructor:
Oded Arad is an Israeli artist, living and working from Berlin. He is an MFA graduate of Hito Steyerl’s class at the Berlin University of the Arts (UDK). The media he uses vary from painting, drawings, an experimental film that he writes, produces and directs. His works are mainly concerned with the themes of memory, the grotesque and humor, and have been exhibited in Germany, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands and Israel. Oded is currently working on graphic novel.
During his workshops he wants to discover together with his students their specific way of expressing themselves, or the way they see the world.