5 seats available
Intro Painting Workshop
Artist-instructor: Tora Aghabayova
Format: In-person in the Berlin Drawing Room Studio (directions)
June 9 – July 7, 2022
– 5x Thursdays
– 6:00 – 8:00pm
Supply List: Acrylic paint is included. See “Materials” section below.
Covid-19 Update: Small class size (max 8 people plus instructor). Please wear a mask.
Learn how to craft a painting from start to finish. This workshop is an introduction to the expressive and versatile medium of painting with a focus on foundation techniques. Learn how to mix colors, arrange your pallet and plan your painting in order to lay down those first few strokes with confidence. The focus of this workshop will be painting from direct observation, using still lifes.
Build your painter’s vocabulary with the following skills:
- Essential color theory.
- Mix colors and organize a palette.
- Plan a composition.
- Introduction to layering and glazing.
- Painting on a toned ground.
- The difference between painting from life and painting from a photograph.
- Tricks and tips for keeping a painting fresh, finishing touches and unifying elements.
By the end of this workshop you will have a solid foundation upon which to launch your own painting journey. Even if you are complete beginner! Practice painting from direct observation as well as how to use photographs and reproductions as inspiration. Finally, begin your exploration of individual style and personal expression. We will look at examples from both art history and contemporary art for technical and conceptual insights.
- Provided: Acrylic paint and basic painting set up.
- Bring: Sketchbook for taking notes, testing colors, diagraming compositions, etc… Pencil and eraser.
- To be purchased by the student: Everything for the first class is provided and we will go over additional supplies in detail. Own set of brushes. Own mixed-media paper block or canvas boards (your choice).
- Recommended: Own set of acrylic paint so that you can practice at home.
Can I participate as a complete beginner?
Yes! This is a perfect introduction to painting for a complete beginner. You will learn foundation skills that can be applied to any future painting project.
Will I have a finished painting that I can hang on the wall?
Maybe yes, maybe no. This is not the type of painting workshop where everyone copies the teacher and ends up with the exact same painting. The focus here is on learning techniques and engaging in a painting process, not necessarily on the final result. We want you to leave this painting course with skills that can be applied to any creative endeavor, not just a single finished painting.
Tora Aghabayova is an Azerbaijani multidisciplinary artist based in Berlin. Formally trained as a painter with a Master of Fine Arts degree from the Azerbaijani State Art Academy. She also has over 13 years of teaching experience having taught at Azerbaijani State Art Academy, and Expat Learning Centre in, Shanghai, China.
Tora has experimented with performance and video art at the onset of her career. Her performance piece in a format of a video installation entitle ‘Mood’ was on display at the first Azerbaijani pavilion exhibition at the Venice Biennial in 2007. In her most recent series of paintings entitles “Nonexistent Myths” Tora revisits and reinvents scenes from biblical mythology. While incorporating elements of surrealism and dark humour, Tora is subtly mocking the piousness and religiosity of the Rennissance epoch art.