with G Caruso
Learn how to craft a painting from start to finish. This workshop is an introduction to the expressive and versatile medium of painting with a focus on foundation techniques. Learn how to mix colors, arrange your pallet and plan your painting in order to lay down those first few strokes with confidence.
Build your painter’s vocabulary with the following skills:
- Essential painter’s color theory.
- Mix colors and organize a palette.
- Observe color relationships accurately.
- Plan a composition.
- Introduction to layering and glazing.
- Painting on a toned ground.
- The difference between painting from life and painting from a photograph.
- Tricks and tips for keeping a painting fresh, finishing touches and unifying elements.
By the end of this workshop you will have a solid foundation upon which to launch your own painting journey. Even if you are complete beginner! Practice painting from direct observation as well as how to use photographs and reproductions as inspiration. Finally, begin your exploration of individual style and personal expression. We will look at examples from both art history and contemporary art for technical and conceptual insights.
Essential skills required in order to participate in G Caruso’s Portrait Painting Workshop, a master class in traditional glazing techniques, will be covered during the Intro Painting Workshop. You will be well equipped to learn the traditional process of building up glazes over a chiaroscuro underpainting after participating in this workshop. Even is you are starting out as a complete beginner.
You may participate in this workshop using any opaque painting medium. This includes acrylic, gouache and oil (water-based oils or traditional) paint. G will tailor the live demos to the specific medium of each student. If you have questions regarding paint, see the supply list and feel free to contact us.
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
Can I participate as a complete beginner?
Yes! This is a perfect introduction to painting for a complete beginner. You will learn foundation skills that can be applied to any future painting project.
Do I need to invest in lot’s of expensive painting supplies?
No! You can use the opaque painting medium of your choice. That means if you already have a set of gouache, acrylics, or oils from a previous workshop you can use what you have. If you don’t own any paints yet, a basic set of acrylics does not cost a lot and they are easy to use within a home set up. See our workshop supply list.
Do I need a studio in order to have a painting practice?
No, not necessarily. This workshop is conducted entirely online with most students working from their homes. Even if you want to work with oil paints, water soluble oils can be obtained at any art supply shop and offer a viable no-solvent alternative to traditional oils paints that are well suited to home practice. Acrylic paints do not emit fumes and can be cleaned up with soap and water. Gouache is well suited for workin on a small scale with minimal space and clean up requirements.
Will I have a finished painting that I can hang on the wall?
Maybe yes, maybe no. This is not the type of painting workshop where everyone copies the teacher and ends up with the exact same painting. The focus here is on learning techniques and engaging in a painting process, not necessarily on the final result. We want you to leave this painting course with skills that can be applied to any creative endeavor, not just a single finished painting.
Intro Painting Workshop
June 18 – July 16, 2021
5 x Fridays, 6 – 8 pm CET
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
*includes 19% VAT
This workshop has been postponed till September
Subscribe to the newsletter to receive the latest class schedule.