Subscribe to the newsletter to receive the latest class schedule.
with G Caruso
Find a new language of expression in your sketchbook with a mixed-media approach during this online workshop.
Sketching with mixed-media means using a variety of materials, both wet and dry, in one composition. Combine charcoal with watercolor, collage with drawing, or ink with pastels. The possibilities are endless! Emphasize experimentation in order to dislodge expectations. Release creativity using a process-based approach.
All levels of experience are welcome to join. Gain a fresh perspective on your sketchbook practice through new combinations of materials. If you are a beginner and this is your first sketchbook, starting with mixed-media is a fun way to explore before finding your own style.
This workshop covers the basics of mixed-media techniques within a sketchbook practice:
- How to prepare your sketchbook for different techniques and mediums.
- Develop a layering/explorative process in your sketches.
- How to combine wet and dry techniques efficiently.
- Basics of gesture drawing and shading/chiaroscuro.
- How different kinds of paper serve different purposes.
G Caruso is your guide on a journey between sketching techniques and mental training exercises to find flow and expressiveness in your sketchbook practice.
This workshop is part of the year-round workshop series Sketchbook Practice. See scheduled modules for the entire year HERE. Join at the start of any module!
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
January 4 – February 22, 2021
8x Monday from 6-8 pm CET
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 230 Euros
(includes 16% VAT)