with G Caruso
Learn how to use your sketchbook to collect ideas and references from the world around you in order to support your own personal artistic process. Let your sketchbook be a place where the ideas can flow and evolve into your own personal style of representation.
What did artists do before google image search, or before photography for that matter? Old Rennaisance masters kept sketchbooks called Quaderno di Bottega, or studio workbook, as a reference tool. These sketchbooks were filled with drawings of all kinds of subject matter that could be referred to when developing a composition.
Learn how to create studies in your sketchbook as well as how these studies can become part of an artistic process. Create compositions directly from your own studies. These composition drawings can be an end in themselves or they can be used as preparatory drawings for larger works or paintings.
We will take a journey through the creative process of Renaissance masters, looking at how sketches made their way in finished works.
- From sketch to finished painting, observing the evolution of an idea.
- The “Quaderno di Bottega” and the tradition of collecting studies and compiling reference pages.
- Sketchbooks not portfolios!
Who is this for?
Anybody who wants to develop a sketchbook practice based on studies and learn how to organize a personal research practice, to people curious to learn more about old masters and how the process of sketching has been part of their art practice
This workshop is part of the year-round workshop series Sketchbook Practice. See scheduled modules for the entire year HERE. Join at the start of any module!
Our Online Workshop Format
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.
Sketchbook Practice: Old Masters
September 6, 2021 – October 25, 2021
8x Monday from 6-8 pm CET
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 230 Euros
(includes 19% VAT)
4 seats available