Subscribe to the newsletter to receive the latest class schedule.
Summer Botanical Watercolor Workshop
Artist-instructor: Mira O’Brien
Format: Online Live (livestreaming with class recordings and instructor feedback).
July 11 – August 15, 2023
– 6x Tuesdays
– 6:00-8:00pm CET
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 185 €
Visit our ABOUT page for community pricing and other discount programs.
What to Expect:
Learn botanical watercolor techniques from your home and tune in to the riotous colors of summer all around us. During the summer edition of this workshop series, we will focus on flowers and the special opportunities summer offers to focus on bold color. Wet into wet watercolor techniques will be covered in order to achieve painterly and expressive results when painting a flower.
While instruction will take place through an interactive livestreaming format (Zoom), care will be taken to emphasize the individual sensual experience of drawing from living specimens and working with watercolors.
The livestreaming classes will introduce watercolor techniques through live demos and interactive instruction. Techniques will include line drawing with watercolor tea wash, building up layers with washes, adding detail with special watercolor effects, mixing colors and more. All levels are welcome. The painting made in this workshop are inspired by the figure of the Naturalist, who was both artist and scientist. These recordings are just as much about the subjective process of observation as they are about the recording of scientific data.
Each class will include instructions for specimen collection, so that we can all work from direct observation. Simple instructions provided days in advance will direct you to pick up a green leaf from the sidewalk, grab a weed sprouting out from a crevice, purchase a piece of seasonal produce, and other actions intended to call attention to oft overlooked instances of nature. Photographic references will also be provided for each class.
Botanical Watercolor Workshop Series:
A year long series of Botanical Watercolor Workshops that take place online and follow the changing of the seasons. Join at any point in the year for one or all four modules. Continuing students receive a 10% discount on consecutive modules. The next module: Fall Botanical Watercolor Workshop
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.