15 seats available
Visual Storytelling Workshop
Artist-instructor: Ali Fitzgerald
Format: Online Live (livestreaming with class recordings and instructor feedback).
September 27 – November 1, 2023
– 6x Wednesdays
– 6-8pm CET Online
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 195 Euros
What to Expect:
Learn how to craft short graphic stories, resulting in a series of your own visual narratives centered around different themes. Explore the world of visual storytelling by looking at examples of other artists’ work and discussing how their stories are built. Each week we will respond to different themes and learn new techniques. Crafting stories through creative prompts and exercises, participants will uncover the building blocks of visual communication.
Introduction to the basic elements of visual storytelling as an art form, exploring composition and text as tools to craft a story.
Themes: collaboration, language
Looking at short nonfiction comics in magazines, we will create our own 1-2 page comic about a topic that interests us.
Themes: memories, sensations
Exploring non-traditional visual stories, we will look at collaged stories, storyboards and webcomics.
Themes: abstraction, time
Looking at different ways to incorporate visual narratives in different ways, as in the emerging field of data visualization.
Themes: craft, communication
In this section, we will look at humor in short visual narratives, like New Yorker cartoons, and think about how this can be applied to our own work.
In our final week, we will develop one of our visual stories more intensively, refining the ideas, structure and drawing into a 3-5 page comic.
Ali Fitzgerald is a comic columnist for the New Yorker. She also contributes to the New York Times and published her first graphic novel, “Drawn to Berlin” with Fantagraphics in 2018. She has given workshops across Europe and the U.S. and is skilled at directing individuals along their own comic journey.
Visual Storytelling Workshop Series:
This workshop is part of the Visual Storytelling Workshop Series. See scheduled modules for the entire year HERE. Join at the start of any module! Continuing students receive a 10% discount on consecutive modules.
Our Online Workshop Format:
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.