14 seats available
Writing and Illustrating a Graphic Novel Workshop
Artist-instructor: Ali Fitzgerald
Format: Online Live (livestreaming with class recordings and instructor feedback).
January 11 – Mar 1, 2023
– 8x Wednesdays
– 6-8pm CET Online
(6pm in Berlin, 12pm in New York, 9am in San Francisco, 5pm in London)
Cost: 260 Euros
What to Expect:
In this part of our graphic narrative journey, we’ll learn how to combine comics into a longer story. We will look at the construction of different graphic novels, and discover how to craft a well-paced story. Using fun exercises, we’ll explore timing, tension, dialogue and visual innovation. You can come equipped with a story that you’ve always wanted to tell, or you can just bring curiosity for this exciting, new(ish) art form!
“Sometimes the story comes first, and the characters follow that, and sometimes vice versa. When the character comes first, I try to find out where the conflict or tension is and work towards resolving that in ways a reader might find interesting. If the character is well-developed, they will lead the way.“
– Interview with Ali Fitzgerald on Berlin Drawing Room Blog
Who: Would you like to draw comics?
This course is intended both for beginners and advanced participants who are interested in learning more about comics. At the end of the course, we should have several pages of new comics and hopefully a new (or renewed) enthusiasm for the medium!
- Livestreaming classes take place via online video conference (using Zoom). The instructor conducts live demos with step-by-step instruction so that you can work together in real time. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback during class time.
- We keep class sizes small and the atmosphere is interactive and supportive.
- Finish exercises or practice at your own pace, at home, outside of class time.
- Receive individual feedback on your completed work and exchange comments and questions with the instructor and your fellow workshop participants in an encouraging environment.
- Find supplemental material and watch the progress of other participants by visiting the workshop Dropbox folder in between classes.
- Recordings from each week’s livestreaming session are available in case you miss a class or want to review a demo.